The Powder Tower (Prašná brána in Czech) is a gateway to the Royal Route. It leads through the Old Town to the Prague Castle and was used as a tradition corronation route of the Czech kings. The construction of the tower began in 1475. The tower used to serve as an attractive entrance into the city and not as a defensive tower. The foundation stone was placed by Vladislav II. The inspiration came from the Old Town Bridge Tower (one of the towers guarding the Charles Bridge).
The 65m tall Powder Tower is connected by the covered bridge to the adjoining Municipal House (Obecní dům) where used to be the seat of Czech kings.
In the end of 19th century the tower was rebuilt, decorated and redesigned by Josef Mocker, one of the leading builders of St Vitus Cathedral. The name of the gate comes from 17th century when it was used to store gunpowder.
Like many other historical buildings in Prague the Powder Tower was wonderfully renovated in 1990s.
It is possible to climb to the observation platform at 44 metres for views over the Old Town.