Church of Our Lady of the Snows
The church of Our Lady of the Snows is located near Jungmann Square, at the very heart of the historic city. The vault of this church is one of the highest in Prague (31,5 metres). It should be the second biggest church in Prague - after St. Vitus Cathedral at Prague Castle - but it was not completed. The current building consists only of the presbytery of the church.
The church was founded in 1347 on the occasion of the coronation of Charles IV and his wife Blanche of Valois. The monastery of Our Lady of the Snows was the first Carmelite convent in Bohemia.
As well as many others, the church was badly damaged during the Hussite wars (15th century) and the building started to fall into decay. At the beginning of the 17th century the new owners of the church - the Franciscans - replaced the damaged Gothic dome by the Renaissance one. The church was restored again in the Baroque style.
The unusual name of the church comes from a very old legend shown on the picture on the altar.
Next to the church there are Franciscan gardens (in Czech: Františkánská zahrada). It´s a very pleasant and nice place to rest in the busy world.