Křivoklát is located in deep forests and it was founded in the 12th century. The castle belonged to the kings of Bohemia. As the royal residence it was rebuilt in the 13th century and served to the ruling Přemyslid dynasty. The castle walls witnessed many major events and feasts, as well as many political dealings and diplomatic negotiations.
The castle was damaged by fire many times. During the 19th century was the its owner the family of Fürstenberg. They reconstructed it after the last fire in 1826.
The most valuable part of the castle is the Royal Hall, which is located in the massive stone tower. The hall has amazing star vaulting. After the Vladislav Hall at the Prague Castle it is the second largest hall in the Czech Republic.
The castle hides the beautiful chapel, the library with more than 52.000 bands, a museum and a gallery of portraits of the Fürstenberg family, a castle prison with torture chambers and torture instruments, a tower with many hunting trophies.