The Charles Bridge (in Czech: Karlův most) is undoubtedly the heart of historical Prague. It is the oldest stone bridge in Prague and the second in the Czech Republic. Its construction started in 1357 under the auspices of King Charles IV, and finished in the beginning of the 15th century. The bridge replaced the old Judith Bridge built in the 12th century, damaged by a flood. This new bridge was originally called the Stone Bridge (Kamenný most in Czech) or the Prague Bridge (Pražský most) but it is called the "Charles Bridge" since 1870.
The Charles Bridge linkes the Old Town and Lesser Quarter side. The bridge is guarded by two beautiful bridge towers. There is the opportunity to climb to the top and enjoy the amazing view of the whole bridge and the panorama of Prague.
The bridge is 516 m long and nearly 10 m wide. It rests on 16 arches shielded by ice guards and it hosts 30 mostly baroque statues and statuaries situated on the balustrade. Most sculptures were erected between 1683 and 1714. They depict various saints and patron saints venerated at that time.
The bridge has proven its amazing resistance to flooding many times but due to its state it was necessary to limit the traffic on the bridge. Since the beginning of the 20th century there was no heavy traffic on the Charles Bridge. The bridge was in the 60th the 20th century reconstructed and since this time is pedestrians only.